According to the organization, the Olympic Games will also continue with corona
The Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021 will continue anyway, even if the corona pandemic is not yet under control. That is what chairman Toshiro Muto of the Japanese organizing committee said on Wednesday The Financial Times.
According to Muto, it is especially “important to organize the Olympics for people who have to live with Covid-19”. He assumes that the corona pandemic will not yet be fully under control when the Games open on Friday, July 23, 2021: “I don’t know what the status of corona infections will be next summer, but the chance that the virus will be a thing of the past is not very big. ”
The head of the Japanese Organizing Committee previously stated in the German Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung all that the Olympic Games if these are realized under these circumstances become a model for other worldwide (sports) events. “That would really be a legacy of Tokyo 2020,” said Muto
Disney suffers a quarterly loss of 4 billion euros
In the past quarter, the American entertainment group Walt Disney suffered a net loss of 4.7 billion dollars (4 billion euros). The corona pandemic closed Disney’s amusement parks, closed many movie theaters, and released major movie releases.
The sharp increase in the number of new subscribers for the Disney + streaming service could not compensate for all that loss of income. The Disney group’s total revenue decreased 42 percent to $ 11.8 billion ($ 10 billion).
Disney television channels, such as the sports channel ESPN and Disney Channel, also saw their income fall sharply. The channels continued to make a profit, because hardly any costs were incurred for TV productions and marketing.
‘Thirteen players of Ajax have been infected with coronavirus’
At Ajax, thirteen footballers and staff members have been infected with the corona virus. According to The Telegraph from tests carried out in mid-June. Antibodies against corona were found in thirteen of the almost ninety footballers, staff members and other people around the selections of Ajax and Jong Ajax who were tested.
Nobody has had any complaints and it is therefore unclear where and how they got infected. It cannot be ruled out that players of Ajax got infected with the virus surrounding the Europa League duel with the Spanish Getafe on February 20 in Madrid, the newspaper writes. Sports park De Toekomst was closed for a month and a half from mid-March, because all football competitions were shut down due to the outbreak of the corona virus.
Trainers and players of Ajax 1 and Jong Ajax and staff members around both teams are now fully trained again and tested weekly for corona. At the moment, according to the club, no one is infected with the virus.
Theater maker on the Red Light district institutes preliminary relief proceedings against face masks
Theater maker Ab Gietelink, who lives on the Red Light District, is going to bring summary proceedings against the municipality of Amsterdam because of the protective mask. That reports ANP news agency Wednesday. According to the cultural entrepreneur, a facemask obligation is a ‘fundamental limitation of the fundamental rights of residents, entrepreneurs and visitors to the Red Light District’. He has been speaking out against all corona measures for some time in videos on Youtube and during demonstrations.
Gietelink is supported in his summary proceedings by Action Group Viruswaanzin, which presents itself legally as Stichting Viruswaarheid.nl. Action group lawyer Jeroen Pols says he has prepared the summons against ANP and will submit it to the court on Wednesday: “Virus truth will also decide on Wednesday whether we as the claimant will also participate. We try to get a hearing as soon as possible ”.
From Wednesday morning, August 5, the obligation to wear a face mask applies to the Red Light District and other parts of Amsterdam. People without a face mask risk a fine of 95 euros after the first period of the experiment. Gietelink states that the municipality ‘lacks both a medical-scientific and a legal basis for the decision’. According to a spokesman for the Amsterdam security region, people will be addressed first.
Welcome to a new blog
Love here NRC keep you informed of the latest developments regarding the corona pandemic. This was the main news of Tuesday:
- Last week, RIVM received 2,588 reports of new corona infections, one increase of 1,259 compared to last week. 44 patients who contracted the coronavirus were hospitalized. That means almost doubling.
- Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Minister of Health Hugo de Jonge (CDA) give Thursday a press conference on recent developments with regard to the spread of the coronavirus. The cabinet is considering introducing new corona measures.
- Despite and because of the corona crisis turnover of Dutch retail trade has risen. Between April and June, turnover grew by 5.9 percent compared to the same period last year.
- The GGDs last week at 70 percent of the contamination clusters the source of Covid-19 has not yet been registered. According to the RIVM, the backlog was caused by the administration sometimes stays there now that it is “very busy”.
- Anyone who does not wear a face mask in some parts of Amsterdam from Wednesday on risks a fine of 95 euros. The measure applies in four busy areas.