Former King of Spain Juan Carlos I, who went into exile last week on suspicion of corruption, has flown to Abu Dhabi. That writes the Spanish newspaper ABC Friday. The newspaper was able to follow the plane with which the former king left Spain on August 3, despite a change in the flight plan, intended to prevent this.
ABC says it controls the flight plan for Carlos’ plane. The private jet is said to have left Paris – so as not to arouse suspicion – and picked up Juan Carlos Monday morning at Vigo airport in Galicia. From there, Carlos and an advisor and four bodyguards allegedly landed at an airport in Abu Dhabi seven hours later.
Also read: The Spanish former king fled like a thief in the night
The former king was discredited by a Swiss investigation into money laundering and tax evasion. The former head of state would have received tens of millions from Saudi Arabia for his role as a negotiator in the construction of a high-speed line between Mecca and Medina. It was set up by a Spanish consortium. In a farewell letter to his son, the current King Felipe VI, Carlos announced his departure on Monday. He said in the letter that he hopes that his ‘mistakes’ will not stick to his son.
According to ABC, 82-year-old Carlos slept in the luxurious Emirates Palace Hotel resort. It is not known how long he stayed there and whether he is still in the capital of the United Arab Emirates. In any case, this adds a new purpose to the speculation in Spanish media about the new residence of the former monarch. It was previously suggested that Juan Carlos had left for the Dominican Republic, Portugal was also named as a candidate.