Explanation: what is nanotexture?
Nanotexture is a special technique that gives your screen a matte appearance. As a result, it does not reflect. An extra coating has been applied to average matt screens. The advantage of this is that it is relatively cheap, but you do sacrifice image quality. The contrast is lowered and you are more likely to suffer from a shimmery haze.
Apple solves this problem by ‘cutting’ the glass at the nanometer level. The light that comes on the screen is therefore not directly reflected, but rather scatters. This way you maintain the image quality and you do not suffer from glare. The downside is that it comes with a hefty price tag.
Apple illustrates how the nanotextured screen works with this image:
Which Apple screens is nanotextured available on?
Not all screens from Apple have a nano-textured finish. At the moment there are only two ways to get this screen on the following devices. The price for an upgrade varies by device, but so do the screen sizes.
Advantages of a nano-textured display
In short, a nano-texture offers a number of advantages:
- Less reflection and reflection in the display.
- Less chance of fingerprints.
- Preservation of image quality compared to screens with a matte coating.
But there are also a few drawbacks:
- It is very expensive. You pay more than € 600 extra for the smallest available display.
- Finishing can be fragile over time if cleaned with the wrong material.
- Available on a few devices only.
Cleaning nanotexture screens: this is how you do it
Cleaning a nano-textured screen is not as simple as a regular screen. It is important to proceed with caution. Apple has written special instructions for this. These are the points to keep in mind when cleaning an Apple nano-textured screen:
- Use only the included black cloth from Apple.
- Do not wet the screen with water or other liquids, including through the cloth.
- For stubborn stains, use only 70% isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on the included cloth.
- After use, clean the cloth by hand. Use detergent and rinse thoroughly. Let the cloth air dry for 24 hours.
For regular Apple screens, you can also use other wipes, but Apple says for this texture that you should explicitly use Apple’s wipe. Have you lost it or is it due for replacement? Then contact Apple.