‘Our dedicated in-house Sound Masters sometimes indicate that products have more potential than expected. These products are rebranded as Special Edition models and the Sound Masters pay extra attention to detail, the selection of components and countless listening sessions. The SA-12 and PM-12 were developed exclusively for the Japanese market and were found to have such potential, ‘Marantz said when announcing the newbies. To continue: ‘The Marantz Sound Master teamed up with our European sound engineers and used the successful KI Ruby series as a starting point to accurately develop the new Special Editions in the 12 series’.
Fully analog amplifier
We read further in the press release: “The PM-12 Special Edition Integrated Amplifier has been developed with one goal only: to extract ultimate audio performance from the basic PM-12 concept. That’s why the model features a completely discreet two-stage design with separate power supplies for the preamp and power amp section. The circuit provides the purest signal path for the amplifiers, delivering 100W per channel to 8 ohm speakers or 200W per channel to 4 ohm speakers. The high-quality nickel-plated inputs and pure copper speaker terminals ensure signal purity from the moment it enters the amplifier until it is sent to the speakers’.
The PM-12 Special Edition is based on the design of the PM-10 and PM-KI Ruby amplifiers with the Moving Coil / Moving Magnet phono stage and features Marantz Premium Phono EQ circuit and Marantz HDAM technology for a manufacturer’s quality signal purity.
The fully analog design of the PM-12 Special Edition features a low-noise bottom and a sleek appearance. While it may seem convenient to have a DAC in the amplifier, digital circuitry naturally generates a lot of electrical noise that can disrupt the subtle analog signals passed through the amplifier. That is why Marantz chose to keep this completely analog approach and keep the PM-12 Special Edition as pure as possible and to equip the SA-12 Special Edition player with the special DAC mode.
Advanced digital technology
The SA-12 Special Edition is based on the development process of the well-known models SA-10 and SA-KI Ruby. “The love for music and the connection of listeners to the music are central, without losing the emotional connection,” the manufacturer tells us. The SACDM-3 disc mechanism specially developed for audio can reproduce SACDs, CDs and compilations on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. It also features an asynchronous USB input, suitable for formats of up to PCM / DXD 384kHz / 32 bits and DSD 11.2 MHz. The Marantz Musical Mastering Stream converts all PCM file formats to DSD format using advanced filtration and processing before the Marantz Musical Mastering Conversion instantly converts the 1-bit data stream into an analog signal without the use of a conventional digital-to-analog converter. Marantz: ‘The result is a fantastic, refined SA-12SE player that fits perfectly with the PM-12SE. Together they form a great hi-fi duo that will bring you closer to your favorite music than ever before. Because music matters’.
The Marantz PM-12SE and SA-12SE will be available from September at authorized Marantz retailers in black and silver-gold for € 3,300. For additional product specifications, please visit www.marantz.com
The PM-12 Special Edition integrated amplifier in a nutshell:
- Developed and fine-tuned by European and Japanese sound engineers with over 65 years of experience with Marantz amplifier designs
- Marantz preamp stage with high resolution and the proprietary HDAM technology
Switching power amplifier design derived from the showpieces: the PM-10 and PM-KI Ruby
- Each speaker can be connected thanks to the impendance-independent frequency response
- Generous Output: 100W + 100W (into 8 Ohms), 200W + 200W (4 Ohms)
- Completely discrete, two-stage design for signal purity with separate power supply for preamp section and power amp section to reduce interference
- Toroidal transformer especially for the preamplifier for clarity and a powerful sound
- Current Feedback design with newly developed broadband circuit
- HDAM® SA3 circuit for a clean signal and optimal dynamics
- MM / MC phono input with new discrete Marantz Musical Premium Phono EQ circuit
- Separate, nickel-plated connections for CD and phono and Marantz own, high-quality copper-plated speaker connections with a high purity
- Linear volume control with new electric volume system
SA-12 Special Edition SACD player with DAC mode in a nutshell:
- Developed and extensively tuned by European and Japanese sound engineers with over 35 years of experience at Marantz in CD players and digital audio
- The internally developed SACD / CD mechanism SACDM-3 has been specially developed for audio
- Playback of SACD / CD and playback of compilations on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
- Asynchronous USB input for high-resolution audio up to PCM / DXD 384 kHz / 32-bit and DSD 11.2 MHz
- Isolation of USB and digital inputs (optical and coaxial) to block out noise from internal and external sources
- Innovative Marantz Musical Mastering “MMM-Stream” upsampling to DSD and filtration
- Specially designed and 1-bit, direct “MM Conversion” from DSD to analog
- New analog output stage with Marantz HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2 technology and low output impedance
- Power supply with toroidal transformer
- Separate headphone amplifier with all-discrete HDAM-SA2 construction