The corona virus ‘circulates intensively’ in Belgium. The number of new infections is not only increasing in the province of Antwerp, other densely populated cities are also seeing an increase, especially in neighborhoods with a low socio-economic status.
Virologist Steven Van Gucht said this at a news conference from the health authorities on Monday. As in many other areas in Europe, he says there has been a second wave of infections since mid-July. But he is confident “that we can get this new wave under control,” if people follow the rule of up to five permanent contacts and go into isolation when they have had contact with an infected person.
Belgium now has thirteen municipalities, including Antwerp, where more than 100 infections per 100,000 inhabitants have been detected. There is also an increase in Brussels. More than 20 cases of infection per 100,000 inhabitants have been detected in 16 of the 19 municipalities in the Brussels region. Face masks are mandatory in busy streets in the capital.
Across Belgium, an average of 491 new cases of infection were recorded daily last week, an increase of 68 percent compared to the previous week. Last Thursday, there were 591. The number of new hospital admissions averages 24 per day. Of the 271 corona patients in the hospital, 58 are in intensive care. That has doubled since mid-July.
In particular, Van Gucht called on young people to adhere to the rules. According to him, many of them feel “not involved in the problem,” even though this group is now more often infected. “We have to work together, the crisis is very real.”
The last news
- Fewer Dutch people have themselves tested for corona: 9% lower turnout than a week earlier
- Province of Utrecht launches pressure monitor for recreational users
- Health declaration of slaughterhouse employees is ‘fake measure’
- The Corona crisis sometimes forces retraining
- Confusion everywhere in the border village of Baarle-Nassau
- Face masks mandatory in Nice center
- Spanish police hunt couple to evade corona test
- Tens of thousands of German students return to school
- Number of daily corona infections in Belgium is rising sharply
- Many Melbourne businesses have to close due to corona outbreak
- Dozens of prisoners tested positive in Surinam prison
- At least forty corona cases on two Norwegian cruise ships
- Millions of Rapid Corona Tests in Britain
- TUI about infected passenger Curaçao: this did not go well
- Hamburg police are ending erotic parties for corona risk
- Beer brewer Heineken hit hard by corona
- Coronashopper helps PostNL achieve higher turnover
- Colombia’s economy hit hard by the corona crisis
- ‘Corona too often excuses for scrapping dividend’
- ‘Cycling world is heading for corona disaster’
- Brazilian football club furious over 23 wrong corona tests
- Dinand threw comeback plans overboard through corona
View the corona news of Sunday 2 August here.
The latest news in your inbox every day during lunch?
Invalid email address. Please enter again.
You can unsubscribe with 1 click