Kyrgios fits for US Open: “For the hundreds of thousands of people who have died” | US Open

0
5


“I’m not going to participate in the US Open this year. It hurts not to be there, but I’m skipping for the people, for my Australians, for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their lives, for all of you. This is my decision … and those are my motives, “explains the world’s number 40.

The 25-year-old Kyrgios previously asked a lot of questions to the organization of the US Open in full corona crisis. But he adds in his message to have “no problem” with the US tennis association USTA running the tournament. “If players want to go, that’s their decision. Provided everyone behaves correctly and safely,” said Kyrgios.

Kyrgios does lash out at the “egoism” of some colleagues, who he says “dance on the tables” and “try to make a quick buck by organizing exhibition tournaments”. With that he refers, among other things, to Novak Djokovic, who had to stop his Adria Tour after several players, including the Serbian, were found to be infected with the virus.

Alexander Zverev was filmed a few days after his participation while he was having a party with friends.

Earlier this week, Ashleigh Barty, Kyrgios’ compatriot and women’s No. 1, also canceled for the US Open. Other big names may follow suit.

The US Open opens on August 31 and is played behind closed doors.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here