Initially, 1,200 tourists from the various campsites were gathered on the beaches of the Blue Coast, west of Marseille. They were then evacuated by sea to the fishing port of Carro before being transported by bus to the gyms in Martigues. There the evacuees spent the night. On Wednesday morning, the fire brigade reported that another 1,500 people had been evacuated.
The fire brigade said on Tuesday to prepare for a night-long fight against the flames. French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin arrived at around midnight and praised the work of the firefighters “who will spend most of the night there.” Darmanin regretted the fire, a “tragedy for the biodiversity of the Bouches-du-Rhône massifs,” said the minister.
The fire that broke out in the area’s forests on Tuesday afternoon had already destroyed 800 acres of vegetation around 10 p.m. More than 1,200 firefighters and fire-fighting planes and helicopters have been deployed to control the fire. By Wednesday morning, the fire had destroyed a total of 1,000 acres, the fire department said. Some houses also went up in flames.
Are you near the fire? App to our whatsapp tip line. Put our number in your phone: +31 613650952.
Every day during lunch an update of the most important news.
Invalid email address. Please enter again.