Max Verstappen set seventh fastest on Saturday in the third and final free practice at the Silverstone circuit. An incident involving Racing Point’s Lance Stroll took the Red Bull Racing driver a quick time.
Stroll got in the way of Verstappen when the Dutchman was on a fast lap on the soft tire: he had clocked the fastest time in the first sector. The incident led to a lot of abuse from the Red Bull driver over the on-board radio.
In the laps that followed, Verstappen was no longer able to set a fast lap on less fresh tires. He had to settle for seventh fastest time (1.27.455), more than eight tenths behind Lewis Hamilton, who was again the fastest.
World champion Hamilton went round in 1.26.621 and as usual Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas (+0.163) was the only one who could stay close to him.
McLaren driver Lando Norris set quite surprisingly the third fastest time on the medium band (+0.642). Furthermore, Nico Hülkenberg, Stroll, Charles Leclerc, Verstappen, Alexander Albon, Esteban Ocon and Carlos Sainz were still within a second of Hamilton.
Qualifying for the race starts on Saturday at 3 p.m. The Grand Prix in honor of the seventieth anniversary of Formula 1 starts on Sunday at 3.10 p.m.
Top 10 third free practice
- 1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) – 1.26,621
- 2. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) – 1.26,784
- 3. Lando Norris (McLaren) – 1,27,202
- 4. Nico Hülkenberg (Racing Point) – 1.27,256
- 5. Lance Stroll (Racing Point) – 1.27,263
- 6. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) – 1.27.328
- 7. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) – 1.27,455
- 8. Alexander Albon (Red Bull) – 1.27,474
- 9. Esteban Ocon (Renault) – 1.27,496
- 10. Carlos Sainz (McLaren) – 1.27,627