Engineer Giuliano Pompilio created the safety protocol for conducting the talks at the Mauro Del Giudice Institute of Higher Secondary Education in Rodi Garganico (FG).
How did the idea of this protocol come about?
The protocol was born from a consideration: the pupils to carry out the examination with the mask would have had many problems in evaluating the facial expressions of the commissioners as well. I made assessments on surgical visors, the ones they use in hospitals: they are made of easily perishable plastic, they are used for book covers, they would have lasted nothing. So, I contacted a local craftsman to evaluate these visors and I focused on the PVC visors, the structure is quite rigid.
Not just visors but with a hat?
On the market there are already those that have a maintenance structure on the head, but it looks like a hospital. So I thought of the hat with the school logo. Students are made more comfortable during the exam.
What are the tools used for checks?
I have studied the differences between traditional sanitisations made with appropriate substances made by people, of course they take much longer. Then the various services that have appeared in the last period on UVC lamps, also used to sanitize buses and cars. It is a system that is used in hospitals: robots are able to walk on lanes and sanitize environments.
UVCs are those frequencies that also produce ozone, all produced by the sun, when they cross the protosphere they manage to release ozone. Ozone is harmful from many points of view, there are methods of sanitizing with ozone but it is not really recommended.
How does the sanitization of the classrooms take place with UVC lamps?
The lamp must be on 10/15 seconds and you must leave the room. After half an hour everything is sanitized as regards the virus. The studies done are on Sars and Mers, who are ‘cousins’ with Covid 19. Then there is clearly an underlying problem: it is an unknown virus, all possible and imaginable investigations must be made from now to 4/5 years. UVC lamps have been shown to perform to inactivate the virus.
In addition to this, portable LED lamps have been provided. So there is the lamp for the room that makes 40/60 meters of sanitization and then the small lamp for the bulky objects such as computers. There is also the uvc box for masks, pens, cell phones, things that could come into contact with a hypothetical wearer.
The protocol includes bracelets, how will they be used?
Bracelets with bluetooth control have been provided. With your mobile phone or tablet you can take data every hour for example of the temperature, without the Commissioner being disturbed.
Would only the commissioners wear the bracelet?
Yes, I didn’t foresee it for the pupils because they only have to stay an hour, they will check at the entrance: who has 37.5 does not enter. Commissioners, on the other hand, have to spend several hours at school. Frequent temperature control also serves to understand if there may have been an infection: there may also be an asymptomatic pupil.
This is the operating procedure indicated in the protocol:
1. Learners’ papers must be delivered the day before or the night before, since the Ministry of Health has estimated the residence time of COVID-19 for the card equal to half an hour, therefore if left the day before or with the sanitization we avoid all problems.
2. First sanitation with uvc lamps, one hour before the first interview, to have a suitable environment, by a school assistant, lighting the lamp at 7:30 am, half an hour of uvc rays, ventilation of the rooms another half an hour; at 8:30 classroom ready.
3. The commissioners, half an hour before (canonical time) of the interview of the first
student, one at a time after the preliminary checks of the
temperature (self-certification, hand washing, etc.), always keeping the spacing rules, wear cap visors and bracelets for temperature control, and wait to enter the classroom.
4. The first learner is summoned fifteen minutes before the established time, and is welcomed into the school hall by a school assistant who must maintain the safety distance of 2 meters, measure the temperature, sanitize the hands, and deposit the small personal items in the uvc box, which will be introduced into the classroom used by the student (usb pen for example), and at the established time will be introduced into the oral classroom.
5. The second learner always fifteen minutes before the established time of the end of the first interview, is received in the entrance hall, as in the previous point, and is spaced for the passage of the previous student, who leaves the small objects in the box at the exit uvc (pens, pencils, erasers, etc.) supplied by the school for later use.
6. In the intermission between two learner presentations, about ten minutes, where the first learner was seated, who touched the various objects, including any computers, he will be sanitized with a portable directional led lamp, time five minutes, to allow the next learner to find a healthy environment.
7. Commissioners’ temperatures are monitored every hour, which perhaps represent the critical part of this procedure; of course, if only one of the commissioners exceeds 37.5 ° C during the day, everything is interrupted and all the protocols for COVID-19 are activated.
8. After the first four or five learners, which should correspond approximately at 12:30 / 13:30, the exam room is closed to sanitize as point 1, so that it can be resumed after the lunch break from point 1 .
9. At the end of the day, after assessing the scheduled learners, the exam room is sanitized again for the next day, and the school staff proceed to the standard cleaning of the exam.