Thursday’s news on the coronavirus in Italy

0
9


In the last 24 hours, 642 new cases of coronavirus infection have been recorded in Italy, according to data released Thursday by the Civil Protection, and 156 new deaths. In total, therefore, the official toll since the beginning of the epidemic is 228,006 confirmed cases and 32,486 deaths. There are 640 people currently hospitalized in intensive care, 36 less than yesterday. The total swabs processed to date are 3,243,398, 71,679 more than yesterday. There are 2,278 new patients “cured or discharged”, for a total of 134,560.

Lombardy recorded 316 cases of contagion in the last hours and 65 deaths. The budget in the region continues to be in any case by far the worst in Italy, and totals 86,091 cases of contagion and 15,727 deaths. In the province of Milan there were 83 new cases of infection, including 38 in Milan.

– Also read: The two months that shocked Lombardy

Reading the data communicated every day by the Civil Protection, some cautions must be used: first of all, for the distinction between the number of people who are currently positive and the total number of infected people, which can be a bit confusing; and secondly because we now know that the infected and the dead are many more than those found in the data. Furthermore, there is a problem as to what Civil Protection means when it speaks of “healed”: it turned out that this figure also includes people discharged from hospitals, but who may still be sick, while it does not include all those who have recovered after to have been sick, but that having not done the swab they never entered the official numbers of the sick.

The other news today

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte spoke today to the Chamber of Deputies and to the Senate to communicate his information on Phase 2 of the coronavirus emergency. “We are in a position to go through Phase 2 with confidence and responsibility – said Conte – We all know the virus better, we know how to protect ourselves, we know what the rules of social distancing are”

Then the prime minister addressed an appeal to young people: “At this stage, more than ever, even when we are outdoors, respect for safety distances remains essential. This is not yet the time of the bar and of the nightlife, of the gatherings ».

The work of the Chamber, with the interventions of the representatives of the various political forces, was interrupted twice by President Roberto Fico. Particularly contested by the opposition benches was the intervention of M5S deputy Riccardo Ricciardi who attacked the management of the Lombardy region of the health emergency and in particular the construction of the Covid Hospital of the Milan Fair.

Controversy over gatherings in front of clubs in different parts of the country continued today. The president of Lombardy Fontana said he had asked the prefect and the mayor of Milan to “intensify the controls on the nightlife. Those who underestimate the rules will close »

“It’s nice to see citizens free to move and conquer the” new normal “step by step – wrote Fontana on Facebook – Creating gatherings around a spritz, however, is not common sense. Meeting friends keeping the right distance and with the mask is ».

Similar words came from the mayor of Milan Giuseppe Sala who, during the daily video of the emergency update, said: “Unfortunately I had been a good prophet getting angry before the reopening on the Navigli question. Basically from this point of view we have a problem and, let’s face it, all Italian cities have it ». Then Sala also turned to the young people: “I understand the kids, and it’s not just them, who need sociality, however, so the risk is very high,” he concluded.

– Also read: Why we talk about “movida”

The Ministry of Interior has announced the number of checks carried out on Thursday 20 May to ensure compliance with the containment measures for the spread of coronavirus. There were over 125,582 controlled persons, and 460 were sanctioned, including 3 people for false declarations or attestations and 3 for violation of the ban on leaving the home due to quarantine. As far as activities and commercial businesses are concerned, there were 56,207 controls. 25 business owners were sanctioned and 3 closure measures were adopted.

– Also read: Are healed patients who test positive for coronavirus again contagious?

INPS, the National Social Security Institute, has announced that allowances of € 600 have been paid to help self-employed workers during the coronavirus emergency, relating to the month of April, as required by the relaunch decree. The beneficiaries were 1.4 million. “The operation – explains INPS – will end in the next few days as another 400,000 allowances will be paid tomorrow while payments for the remaining 2 million applicants will arrive by Monday”. The April bonus will arrive without a new question for those who have already received it in March.

Today also the trade union Adl Cobas Lombardia has presented a complaint to the Milan prosecutor on the construction of the Covid hospital of the Fair. The prosecutor has consequently opened a file without hypothesis of crime or investigated, to assess whether there are responsibilities. According to the union, the hospital would have hosted no more than 25 patients for a cost of 21 million euros, mainly from private donations.

– Also read: Is the hospital at the Fiera about to close?

Today, during an audition in the Chamber, Education Minister Lucia Azzolina came back to talk about how to take the baccalaureate exams, this time as regards the so-called “private” students. For these, the oral exam will not take place on June 17th, as for all the others: on July 10th they will have to take a suitability test, and if they pass it they will be able to take the high school interview in September, in an extraordinary session. According to the minister, the different timing is due to the fact that “the commission must be able to fully evaluate them since their peers inside the schools are instead known by the internal members, their teachers this year, who followed the school year”.

Why are the cases still increasing?
One consequence of the poor precision of the data collected so far is that even now that the situation seems to improve overall (the drop in ICU admissions is a sign of this) the number of new cases still seems very high.

One possible answer is that the increase in the number of confirmed cases is linked to the increase in the number of swabs performed: the more tests you do, the more cases you find. This would also show that in the first weeks since the beginning of the epidemic, the low number of tests had not allowed to identify all the cases, which have been (and still are today) more than the official numbers say.

– Also read: The Swedish model will not save the Swedish economy





Source link
https://www.ilpost.it/2020/05/21/notizie-coronavirus-italia-giovedi-21-maggio/

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here