Executives and employees of the energy company Engie Electrabel will demonstrate at the Doel nuclear power plant on Thursday 3 December. The protest is directed against the federal government, which is retaining the nuclear exit for the time being.
“The action is directed against a government that will eventually abolish 7,000 jobs that are difficult to convert,” said the National Confederation of Executives (NCK), a union for executives.
The coalition agreement of the De Croo government confirms a nuclear withdrawal in 2025. The majority parties do foresee an evaluation in November 2021. If it shows that there is a risk of problems with security of supply or the electricity price, then it can be decided to use two of the keep the seven reactors – Tihange 3 and Doel 4 – open longer.
Engie Electrabel said earlier in a letter to staff that the investments in the lifespan extension will be scrapped. The company is also calling on the government to make a decision on an extension of the two reactors this year.
‘For the first time in our country’s economic history, it is a government and not an international group that is shutting down industrial installations. In ready-to-operate condition, these installations can still serve for at least two decades, ‘according to the NCK. “We will continue to increase nuclear pressure on the government in the coming weeks to do homework quickly.”
Thursday’s demonstration is organized in a joint front of NCK and the unions ACV, ABVV and ACLVB.
On October 9 there were already demonstrations at the power stations in Doel and Tihange.