Jess Thorup was unable to win his first game as a coach of Racing Genk. Genk played for a long time against Ostend with ten and had to take the equalizer in the final phase. KVO has been unbeaten for 5 games now. “If you play 35 minutes with a man less, you can be happy that you still have a point,” says Jess Thorup.
Racing Genk – KV Oostende in a nutshell:
- Key moment: Genk with his ten years of age can withstand the pressure of Ostend, but in the final phase the home team still creaks. Gueye shows his jumping power on a fine pass from Bataille and heads the equalizer untenable in goal.
- Man of the match: With goalkeeper Danny Vukovic in quarantine, Maarten Vandevoordt got another chance in goal at Genk. With the 0-1, the goalkeeper did not go free, but afterwards he excelled with witty interventions in dangerous replays and clever saves.
- Remarkable: Two years ago, Jess Thorup also made his debut at AA Gent against Ostend. Then things turned out a little better for the Dane, Ghent recorded a big 0-4 victory on the coast. Also striking: after 5 defeats in a row, KVO can take another point against Genk for the first time in 3 years.
10 Genk players cannot secure victory against Ostend: 2-2
Onuachu wipes out McGeehan’s early opening goal
Just like making his debut at AA Gent 2 years ago with a resounding victory against KV Oostende, Jess Thorup undoubtedly hoped for that in his first game as trainer of Racing Genk.
But it became an early cold shower for the Dane, because after only 3 minutes it was already 0-1. Vandevoordt worked a hard shot from Hjulsager and McGeehan scored in the repeat.
Not to worry for the Genk fans, because the home team put things in order 5 minutes later. Maehle passed Ndicka very easily and painted the ball on Onuachu’s head. That left Hubert without a chance with a striking header: 1-1.
Genk took control of the game, Hubert kept Toma in the 2-1 fifteen minutes. On the half hour Onuachu was allowed to try again on a pass from Maehle, this time he did not get past the KVO goalkeeper.
Genk therefore sniffed the 2-1, but it might as well have been 1-2. After a clever move, Sakala was able to rush towards goal on his own, but he decided from close range right on Vandevoordt’s head. An unorthodox save, which the Genk goalkeeper had to recover.
Vandevoordt sees stars after unorthodox rescue
The Genk ten only crack in the final phase
Commotion at the start of the second half after hands by goalscorer McGeehan in the box. Lucumi wanted a penalty, but Laforge gave him a yellow card for protest. Until the VAR intervened. After much deliberation, the ball went on the dot and Onuachu made his second of the evening.
So Genk took the lead for the first time, but a few minutes later another downer followed. Toma went too fiercely on D’Arpino and had to drain immediately. Ostend smelled his chance and forced Genk’s ten back.
A strong Vandevoordt kept Genk in the running for the three-pointer. The goalkeeper was right on shots from Ndicka and McGeehan. But in the final phase he still had to give in when Gueye headed a Bataille cross powerfully into goal.
In extra time, both teams came close to victory. Hubert had to be able to show on a header from Cuesta and on the other side beautiful Vandevoordt again on a hard bang from Sakala.
Lucumi does a strange pirouette as a feint
View the goals from Genk – Ostend (2-2)
Verheyen about the hand game in Genk-Ostend: “I think it’s very bad that that is a penalty”
Thorup: “I didn’t think it was a red card for Toma”
- Jess Thorup (trainer Racing Genk): “You always want to win, so of course we are disappointed. But if you play 35 minutes with a man less, you can be happy that you still have a point. We had the game under control, but in the end we had to do everything we could to get that lead. That didn’t work out and so we have to accept this point division. I didn’t think it was a red card for Toma, but I can’t change the decision of the referee. That exclusion was of course a turning point in the match. “
- Alexander Blessin (trainer KV Oostende): “After the penalty for Genk, I didn’t think we would come back. The players looked tired. But the last 15 minutes we played well and you could see that the team was really looking for that equalizer. After the 2-2 seemed even more in it. I’m not really happy about it, but I can certainly live with this draw. “
- Paul Onuachu (Racing Genk): “We played well until we got that red card. We could have lost the game in the end, so we should be happy with a point. Our 6th penalty in 7 games? For that we have the VAR, I think it was the right decision. I’m here to score and help the team. I got off to a good start with 6 goals, but I have to look at it match by match. I already worked with Thorup at my previous club (FC Midtjylland, ed.). so it is nice to have him as a trainer again. “
- Cameron McGeehan (KV Oostende): “It’s nice that we get another point here, there was even a victory. We continue our series and that is good for the team. It took a while before I was fit for the match, but I feel better and better now. is fantastic that I was able to score today. I haven’t seen the penalty phase again. I don’t know if it’s that crazy new VAR rule where it is immediately hands when the ball hits your hand. was minimal. It was also a long wait for the decision of the referee, it was very doubtful. “
Source link by https://sporza.be/nl/matches/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/2020-2021/regulier/07/krc-genk-kv-oostende-tien-genk-spelers-moeten-vrede-nemen-met-punt-tegen-kvo-bij-debuut-thorup~1596306485161/
*The article has been translated based on the content of Source link by https://sporza.be/nl/matches/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/2020-2021/regulier/07/krc-genk-kv-oostende-tien-genk-spelers-moeten-vrede-nemen-met-punt-tegen-kvo-bij-debuut-thorup~1596306485161/
. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!