A 54-year-old pedestrian was killed in the village of Hilaf, 2,360 people needed medical treatment


The Yom Kippur fast ended tonight (Monday) across the country in the shadow of the closure imposed on Israel last Friday and is expected to continue until the end of Simchat Torah. Before the holiday began, hospitals across the country went into emergency mode with only a handful of staff left on standby to provide a medical response.

Closure of Yom Kippur Eve (Police Spokeswoman)

Magen David Adom held a holiday that took place this year at the height of the second wave of morbidity in the corona virus and under heavy heat that prevailed throughout the country today. MDA stations were reinforced with paramedics and paramedics, and MDA drives in homes and synagogues were provided with life-saving medical equipment.

As every year, this time too, MDA teams were busy on Yom Kippur: MDA medics and paramedics rushed to provide medical care to 2,360 people across the country, of whom 1,818 were evacuated for further treatment in hospitals. 305 fainted, became dehydrated and felt ill due to fasting. 129 people were injured and needed first aid due to a riding injury on bicycles, skates, scooters and skateboards, five of them in fair condition.

Seventeen people were injured in road accidents, including a 54-year-old pedestrian who was killed after being hit by a vehicle in the village of Hilaf. Eighteen people were injured in violent incidents across the country, including one moderately. MDA teams were also called to transfer 136 midwives to hospitals, most of whom were born by MDA teams in Jerusalem and Beit Shemesh.

  • Trump vs. Biden: All the updates on the US election

During Yom Kippur, MDA continued the war to prevent the spread of the corona virus and MDA samples from the Arab sector took 1,595 samples in the sector’s localities. MDA’s blood services provided hospitals in Israel with 298 doses and blood components and 38 plasma doses for the treatment of corona patients during Yom Kippur.

In addition, two incidents of stone-throwing on ambulances and disturbance to staff by teenagers were recorded in Hadera.

The fire stations in the Southern District operated in about 50 different incidents in the district sector from the beginning of the fast until the end of the fast.

Burning of a room with casualties on the Haredi campus in Gan Yavneh: Following several messages received at the 102nd District of Southern District, firefighters from the Gan Yavneh and Ashdod stations started about an hour after the fast and when they arrived they identified smoke coming from a room in a two-story building. Firefighters immediately began scanning the building to locate trapped people and at the same time worked to extinguish the fire. At the end of the extinguishing operations, the smoking building was ventilated. Three children were evacuated in a light condition following inhalation of smoke. A fire investigator began investigating the incident.

Fire in a synagogue in Ashkelon: Early in the morning, several calls were received about smoke seen from a synagogue on Tchernichovsky Street. Firefighters from the Ashkelon station were rushed to the scene. Firefighters who arrived at the scene identified the burning of several plastic chairs inside the synagogue building and acted to put out the fire. A civilian who tried to put out the fire before the crews arrived was slightly injured by smoke inhalation but refused to evacuate. A fire investigator began investigating the incident.

Southern District stations also operated in a number of rescue incidents from elevators, assisting in breaking a door and in various incidents without casualties.

While during the day there was sparse traffic on the streets, on the eve of Yom Kippur, busy streets were sometimes seen.

Took to the streets with masks

“It looks almost like every year, only this time people with masks,” remarked Miriam, a longtime resident of Givatayim on Yom Kippur, against the backdrop of bustling streets with many cyclists, scooters and passers-by.

From the early evening hours, children were seen riding bicycles on the roads, families walking and meeting friends and even neighbors who lowered chairs to the sidewalk and held social gatherings.

Not only young people and families filled the streets, most of them wearing masks.

Against the background of the “time-out” from talking on the cell phone in Yom Kippur on the streets of the city, a foreign caregiver was heard talking on the phone in her mother tongue, with the elderly wheelchair she was caring for sitting next to her.

Groups of teenagers and young people were also seen on the streets of the cities. At a traffic jam at the Aluf Sadeh Rabin-Raziel junction on the Ramat Gan-Givatayim border, six teenagers played backgammon for fun.

The existence of prayers in the areas near synagogues and in open spaces, led to the construction of complexes in public places in Ramat Gan and Givatayim and sometimes, prayers were also heard in the courtyards of buildings.

Cycling on Yom Kippur in Jerusalem (Photo: Yonatan Zindel, Flash 90)

In East Tel Aviv, dozens of worshipers gathered in the courtyard of a building, where a Torah scroll was also brought from the synagogue.

While the streets were bustling with passers-by, the roads seemed deserted and only rarely did an emergency vehicle pass when it had to honk in order for the road to be free for driving.

During Yom Kippur the streets already looked almost deserted. The heavy heat left many in homes. Only occasionally were cyclists and passers-by seen.

“On a hot day like this, it is better to stay at home. It is a danger to souls to go outside and ride a bicycle,” said Racheli, who also did not go out for a bike ride every year.

In the evening, more cyclists and passers-by were seen on the streets. “We are going to hear the blowing of the shofar,” said Moshe, who was on his way to the synagogue plaza in East Tel Aviv.

During Yom Kippur, no police enforcement was seen on the streets. Although mobility toured, it was evident that it was more for attendance and to make sure there were no unusual events.

In the morning hours of Sunday, checkpoints were set up mainly at exits from some of the cities. Occasionally there were traffic jams, due to the criticism and the police conducted a random survey of drivers. Some were afraid to leave the houses, also to wish a good signing for Grandpa and Grandma. “I really wanted to go out to my grandparents and even wish them a happy new year from the outside, but I was afraid that there would be enforcement and I wished them a good signature in Zoom,” said a young woman from Givatayim – “We are in a fictional film in the sequels.”

Source link by https://www.maariv.co.il/news/Article-792404

*The article has been translated based on the content of Source link by https://www.maariv.co.il/news/Article-792404
. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here