Strong earthquake at 6.35 pm on 7 November 2019. Epicenter in the province of L'Aquila. Ingv (National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology) informs that the quake was of Magnitude 4.4 (the provisional estimate was between 4.4 and 4.9).
The shock came after a seismic swarm (click here to read what is happening according to Ingv) started in the night. The strongest shock before magnitude 4.4 was of magnitude 2.8, which occurred at 1.13 at night, preceded by a magnitude of 2.2 – at 10.53 pm on November 6th – and followed by a magnitude of 2.5 at 4.39 am of 7 November. All the earthquakes were distinctly felt by the population on the border between Abruzzo and Lazio. And for this reason as a precaution the mayor of Balsorano, Antonella Buffone, had ordered the closure of all schools of all levels.
– 6.42 pm: The agency Adnkronos beats the news of the quake on the net.
– 6.43 pm: The GR1 interrupts the news to give the news.
– 6.45 pm: We learn that the high provisional estimate of the quake immediately alerted the national civil protection system.
– 6.47 pm: Via Twitter Ingv informs that the shock estimate is of magnitude 4.4. Epicenter in Balsorano (L'Aquila). The epicenter was located 5 km south east of the city of Abruzzo, and at a depth of 14 km.
– 6.51 pm: The Gr1 gives news that the strong shock was felt even in Lazio. And he adds that so far no personal damage has been reported.
– 6.55 pm: «L'Aquila Earthquake update at 6.55 pm Our situation room Italy is in contact with the civil protection structures in the area. Checks in progress ». So on Twitter the Department of Civil Protection.
– 7.00 pm: Reports are arriving that the quake was distinctly felt even in Rome. The testimonies of many people living in the capital and in Lazio are spreading on Twitter. "Everything is danced in Rome," Monica writes in response to a tweet from Ingv.
– 07.05 pm: Ingv half an hour after the shock received reports from citizens who have felt the effects from many locations in theAbruzzo, Molise, Lazio and Campania. In particular from: Balsorano, Pescosolido, Sora, Campoli Abbennino, Broccostella, San Vincenzo Valle Roveto, Isola del Liri, Villavalelonga, Arpino, Pescasseroli, Lecce in the Marsi. Numerous reports also from Latina, Velletri, Tivoli, Guidonia Montecelio, Chieti, Aprilia, Anzio, Pescara, Pomezia, Montesilvano, Rome, Teramo and Caserta.
– 7.16 pm: "At the moment there is no damage to things or people". The deputy mayor of Balsorano told the Adnkronos Gianni Valentini, town 5 km from the epicenter of the magnitude 4.4 earthquake. "The schools had already been closed yesterday, civil protection was alerted and we are looking at how the situation evolves"the deputy mayor added.
– 7.19 pm: "I have now heard from 118, so much fear but no damage." The president of the Lazio Region says this to LaPresse, Nicola Zingaretti, concerning the earthquake on the border between Abruzzo and Lazio in the margins of the presentation of the book by Maurizio Molinari.
– 7.20 pm: After the earthquake of magnitude 4.4 recorded in the L'Aquila area, "we have received only many requests for information, at the time there were no requests for assistance or reports of damage". The news was reported by fire fighters to the Adnkronos specifying that many phone calls from L’Aquila and Frosinone have reached the Operations Room.
– 7.45 pm: «The Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism has activated its own crisis units for the verification of damages and the securing of the cultural heritage possibly damaged by the earthquake recorded this afternoon by the instruments of the national institute of geophysics in the province of L'Aquila ». This was announced by the General Secretary of the Mibact, Salvo Nastasi.
– 7.46 pm: Following the seismic event registered by the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology between the provinces of Frosinone and L'Aquila at 6.35 pm, with magnitude ML 4.4, the Italy Situation Room of the Civil Protection Department got in touch with the structures premises of the National Civil Protection Service. From the checks carried out, the event, with its epicenter located between the municipalities of Balsorano in the province of L'Aquila, Pescosolido and Sora in the province of Frosinone, is warned by the population, but no damage to people or things has been recorded. The Civil Protection reports it in a note.
– 7.48 pm: Rfi informs that at 18.40 the railway traffic on the Sulmona – Avezzano, Roccasecca – Avezzano and between Ceprano and Cassino (Rome – Cassino) lines, is suspended, as a precaution, to allow the verification of the state of the infrastructure by the technicians of RFI following an earthquake that affected the area between Abruzzo and Lazio. The Rfi makes it known. On the Rome-Naples high-speed line, for the same reason, the trains already traveling proceed with speed limitation until the Rfi technicians check. The other trains run along the alternative route via Formia.
– 8.18 pm: We learn from a launch of the Adnkronos agency that verification teams at Strada dei Parchi and Infra Engineering technicians are carrying out a visual inspection of the viaducts that fall within the area of Marsica where a similar magnitude 4.4 shock was recorded, in the area of Balsorano. The company in a note reports that there is no damage to the motorway structures and the traffic is regular. In this area, the company continues, from 2017 we are working in a safety perspective in the event of an earthquake.
In the Marsicana area near the seismic crater there are five viaducts and they are the Santa Iona Viaduct, the Paterno Viaduct, where the systems that prevent the scaling of the highway decks in the event of an earthquake have been implanted. While for the other interested viaducts, namely that of Cerchio and Collarmele, in addition to the anti-scaling system, seismic adjustment works were also carried out on the batteries. Finally, on the Ponte della Valle viaduct in the municipality of Pescina, like the others from 2017/18, it has seismic anti-scaling, while in recent weeks it is working on reinforcement and seismic adaptation of the batteries.
– 8.19 pm: Schools closed tomorrow, Friday 8 November, in most of the Municipalities of Ciociaria following the earthquake that struck the Aquila area and which was clearly felt in the area between Lazio and Abruzzo. In particular, ordinances have already been issued for the Municipalities of Sora, Cassino, Arpino and Isola del Liri. The mayor of Cassino Enzo Salera has issued the ordinance of closure of the schools of every order and degree including public and private kindergartens "in order to proceed with the verification of the structural elements".
– 21.01 hours: We learn that the Civil Protection of the Abruzzo Region has activated the 24-hour operation of the Eagle operating room with the state of alert, following the strong shock that in the afternoon affected the internal areas of the region, with its epicenter in Balsorano. This was reported by a note from the regional administration, according to which three teams of civil protection volunteers were sent to support the mayor of Balsorano who immediately strengthened the Coc (Municipal Operations Center). Many reports have been sent to the Prefecture, the carabinieri, mayors and the fire brigade, but – it is specified – no damage to property or persons has been reported. "The president of the Abruzzo region, Marco Marsilio, is constantly following the evolution of the situation ", still reads. Meanwhile, the following Coc have been opened: Morino, S. Vincenzo Valle Roveto, Villavallelonga, Balsorano, Civitella Valle Roveto.