Cucchi trial, for the beating two carabinieri sentenced to 12 years for intentional homicide. Ilaria: "Now Stefano will rest in peace"


Ten years after his death in hospital after being arrested, the day of the sentence arrives in the case of Stefano Cucchi, the most awaited by the family that has never stopped looking for the truth. The two carabinieri Alessio Di Bernardo is Raffaele D'Alessandro, accused of having beaten the 31-year-old surveyor after arresting him, were sentenced to 12 years for intentional murder. The judges of the Court of Assizes of Rome have acquitted from this charge the accused became the prosecutor Francesco Tedesco, who in 2018 decided to speak and tell what he had seen in the Casilina barracks, where the beating occurred. He was inflicted on him two years and six months for forgery. The marshal Roberto Mandolini, the commander of the Appia Station where Stefano was taken, he was sentenced to 3 years and 8 months for the falsification of the arrest report. Acquitted Vincenzo Nicolardi: initially he had to respond to slander and was retrained on false testimony. The judges also ordered the payment of a provisional payment of 100 thousand euros each to Cucchi's parents and to his sister Ilaria while the carabinieri Di Bernardo, D’Alessandro, Mandolini and Tedesco, in various capacities, will have to compensate, separately, the civil parts Rome capital city, Cittadinanzattiva is three agents of the police penitentiary. Di Bernardo and D'Alessandro were also permanently banned from public offices, while a five-year ban was ordered for Mandolini.

"Stefano was killed, we knew this and we have been repeating it for 10 years. Maybe now he can remarry in peace – he says Ilaria Cucchi in the courtroom to read the verdict – Today I kept the promise I made to Stefano ten years ago when I saw him dead on the morgue table. To my brother I said: "Stefano I swear to you that it does not end here." We have faced so many difficult moments, we have fallen and we have risen, but today justice has been done and Stefano, perhaps, will be able to rest in peace. It took 10 years and those who have been by our side every day know very well how far we have had to go. I thank all those who have not abandoned us and they believed in it, together with us ". "A little relief after 10 years of pain and untruthful trials" for Rita Calore, Stefano's mother. "A nightmare has ended," said Tedesco, who indicated his responsibilities in the beating with his statements. To report his words toHandle he was his defender, Eugenio Pini. "German showed satisfaction with the outcome of this process and left without adding anything else," explained Pini. "Justice has arrived. Stefano rests. Rest in peace friar '"he writes on Facebook Riccardo Casamassima, the carabiniere among the first to report the Cucchi case.

On behalf of the Carabinieri, the general commander Giovanni Nistri reiterates pain and closeness to the family: "A pain – says the general – that today is even more intense after the first instance sentence of the Court of Assizes of Rome that defines the responsibilities of some carabinieri failed in their duty, thereby disregarding the founding values institution ". "These are values ​​- concludes Nistri – which inspires the actions of 108,000 carabinieri who, with daily sacrifice and commitment, work to guarantee the rights and safety of citizens, often putting their lives at risk, as unfortunately the chronicles bear witness to latest".

Fabio Anselmo who followed the complicated legal affair underlines that "Stefano died because of those who beat him, he was fine before he was arrested and he was returned corpse. We are particularly moved because it was an obvious truth. Have passed ten years of life we have lost everyone". The opinion of Maria Lampitella, lawyer of D'Alessandro: "A sentence of great bitterness: the court did not accept our request to interrupt the council chamber to provide a super expertise to eliminate any doubt about the causes of death. We await the reasons and we will use all the tools to reaffirm the strangeness of Raffaele d'Alessandro ".

Apart from the secretary of the League Matteo Salvini that he merely said that "if someone has made a mistake, he will pay", the President of the Chamber commented on the news. Roberto Fico: "The solidity of a democracy – he declares – is also measured by the ability to make truth about itself. With courage. What they had Ilaria and the whole Cucchi family, to whom my thanks go ”. For the former President of the Senate and Senator of Free and Equal Piero Grasso it is a "sentence that gives justice to Stefano Cucchi, to his family members who fought for truth and justice, to the Carabinieri, At the state". According to Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, political leader of the M5s, it is "that of today is a sentence that restores dignity to a family and to his enormous suffering, that none of us can presume to fully understand ". Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio writes this on Facebook, adding that "today the state embraces the Cucchi family". They expressed satisfaction with the Amnesty Internationale sentence and the Antigone association: "Today's sentence is an important one, which does not make us rejoice, just as no condemnation makes us rejoice – the president states Patrizio Gonnella – but after ten years of battles he returns justice, truth and dignity to Stefano Cucchi ".

The prosecution requests with penalties up to 18 years – Prosecutor Musarò had asked to be sentenced to 18 years in prison Di Bernardo is D'Alessandro, the two soldiers alleged perpetrators of the beating. For the same crime the prosecutor had invoked the acquittal – because he did not commit the crime – Francesco Tedesco, the military man who accused the two colleagues during the proceedings. . For the same the request of punishment at three years and six months for the crime of forgery in completing the arrest report. Of this he answers along with the marshal Roberto Mandolini, at the time of the facts at the head of the Appia station, where the arrest was carried out. For Mandolins the prosecutor had asked for eight years in prison and perpetual interdiction from public offices. Asked not to have to proceed to prescription intervened of the crime of calumny against Mandolini himself, Tedesco and Vincenzo Nicolardi, also a carabiniere, in judgment for calumnies against three prison officers who were accused during the first trial.

The bis investigation on the beating: "Slaps, punches and kicks" – The inquiry into the death of Stefano Cucchi it had been closed last January 17 with the hypothesis that the surveyor had been beaten by the soldiers of the weapon that had stopped him. On 10 July 2017, the judge of the Court of Rome had ordered the indictment of the accused carabinieri. The Roman surveyor died in Rome in October 2009 a week after his arrest for drugs. The trial for the defendants began last October 13 in front of the Third Court of Assizes. Cucchi, according to the reconstruction of the prosecutor's office, was hit in "slaps, fists e kicks". The beatings, for the accusation, caused "one ruinous fall with impact on the ground in the sacral region ", provoking on the young"personal injuries which would have been curable in at least 180 days and partly with permanent results, but that in this case, together with the omissive conduct of the health care workers who had taken care of Cucchi at the protected facility of the Sandro Pertini hospital, ne determined death".

The arrest and death at the Pertini hospital in Rome – The 31 year old Roman was arrested on October 15th 2009 in via Lemonia, in Rome, close to the park of the Aqueducts, because surprised with 28 grams of hashish and a few grams of cocaine. That night, the carabinieri drove him home to search his room. Finding no other drug they brought him back in barrack with them and locked him in a security cell of the barracks Appio Claudio. The next morning, at the trial hearing, Stefano had difficulty walking and talking and showed obvious bruising in the eyes and to the face that were not present the night before. The judge, despite the young man's health conditions, validated the arrest, setting a new hearing.

Cucchi was imprisoned in the prison of Queen Coeli, but his health deteriorated rapidly and, on the 17th, he was transported to theFatebenefratelli hospital to be visited. Clear the report: lesions and ecchymoses in the legs and face, jaw fracture, bladder bleeding, chest injuries and two spinal fractures. The doctors asked for admission that Stefano persistently refused, so much so that he was sent back to prison before being hospitalized again, at theSandro Pertini hospital, where he died on October 22nd. Only at this point, after unsuccessful attempts, his family succeeded in obtaining authorization to see it: the body weighed less than 40 pounds and showed obvious signs of beatings.


Before continuing

If you are here it is clear that you appreciate our journalism.
               As you know, more and more people are reading without having to pay anything.
               We decided because we believe that all citizens should be able to receive free and independent information.

Unfortunately, the kind of journalism we try to offer requires time and a lot of money.
               Advertising revenues help us pay all the employees needed to guarantee
               always the standard of information we love, but it is not enough to cover the costs

If you read us and like what you read you can help us continue
               our work for the price of a cappuccino a week.

Peter Gomez

Previous Article

The Cucchi trial, the sentence for the accused doctors: four prescribed and one acquitted


Next article

Cassation, CSM appoints Fuzio successor: Giovanni Salvi new attorney general


Source link



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

4 + 1 =