– Here's Your Replay ⬇️ (@HeresYourReplay) October 17, 2019
A first career goal he had been waiting for a long time, as evidenced by the huge smile in his face and the reaction of his teammates on the ice and on the bench.
He had just been criticized by Claude Julien and he answered in the best possible way. He received a standing ovation from fans at the Bell Center, who felt a burden rise from the young man's shoulders. We knew it was coming, but it was still since 2017 that the sequence lasted.
Nick Cousins gave Mete the goal on a silver plateau in his first match with the Habs.
The former London Knights worked hard on his shot this summer and it paid off.
A question that will probably be asked in the locker room after the match: who won the bet about Mete's first goal? We know that before the season, the Canadiens players bet on it for fun.
– Mete therefore ranks second in all-time for the players who took the most time to score a goal (127). Steven Halko (155) remains in first place.
– Mike Komisarek is second in the Canadiens history.
Victor Mete scored first NHL goal in his 127th career, ending the longest wait for a @CanadiensMTL player to score goal No. 1 (Mike Komisarek scored in his 123rd NHL game). #NHLStats pic.twitter.com/GkDd0JsHho
– NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) October 17, 2019
When #GoHabsGo'S Victor Mete one day tells his grandchildren that his first NHL goal was a pretty one-timer on a head's-up pinch in the opponent's slot … he will not be embellishing the truth. I did not care about tonight 's final score, Mete was just selected first star.
– Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) October 17, 2019