“We’ve begun the process of contacting and re-connecting natural gas service to residential customers in Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties who were previously disconnected from our system more than two years ago, no longer accounted for in our supply portfolio and denied re-connection under our current connection restriction guidelines,” said National Grid New York’s president John Bruckner.
“We care and are concerned for all customers impacted by this issue, and it’s clear we could have done a better job communicating to this particular segment of customers.”
Bruckner said the move “started immediately,” after the state’s top utility regulator, the Public Service Commission, issued an order last Friday directing the company to reconnect 1,157 customers with inactive accounts — arguing the company’s policy would endanger the well-being of customers.
The affected parties decided they wanted to turn the gas back on only after National Grid announced a moratorium in May on new connections.
An ongoing investigation into the company’s practices is being expanded, National Grid also faces penalties for alleged violations of public service law.
Bruckner insisted although the company’s emergency response plan will be expanded to meet present demands, it’s a short term solution that doesn’t address the existing need for a sustainable natural gas supply.