(Washington) US President Donald Trump confirmed Friday that the additional tariffs of 15% on billions of dollars worth of Chinese goods would come into effect on Sunday.
Responding to reporters about the possibility of postponing them to a later date, the US president responded, "They are validated."
These additional duties of 15% cover part of the $ 300 billion worth of goods imported from the Asian giant that have been previously spared. And, they will come into force at 0:01 local, according to the notification of the services of the Trade Representative (USTR) published in the Official Journal.
The goods concerned cover a very wide range of products, particularly in the food, textile and furniture sectors.
Since March 2018, the president has embarked on a ruthless tariff war to wring a trade deal that ends commercial practices deemed "unfair" such as the forced transfer of US technology and the massive subsidy of Chinese state-owned enterprises.
However, Beijing has not declined by also imposing additional customs duties on all imports from the United States.
So far, more than $ 250 billion of imported Chinese goods out of some $ 540 billion (2018 amount) have been overtaxed.
Negotiations seem to be deadlocked.
Donald Trump once again said that talks between Washington and Beijing were taking place.
"I can not say anything but we are talking to China," he said. "We have conversations with China. Meetings are scheduled. Calls are in progress, "he continued.
"I guess the September meeting continues to be relevant. This has not been canceled. We will see what happens, "he added.
For the moment, the Chinese side has not confirmed the holding of such talks.
The services of the US Trade Representative (USTR), requested by AFP, did not respond.
Donald Trump also said that "13% of (US) companies will leave China in the very near future." "I think the numbers will be much higher," he added.