Morocco-Spain: 155 migrants force the Sebta wall

0
7


A group of 155 African migrants managed to penetrate Friday into the occupied enclave of Sebta, in northern Morocco, crossing the high fence bristling with barbed wire, told AFP a spokesman for the local prefecture.
"All are from sub-Saharan Africa, the majority of Guinea Conakry," said the spokesman.
They crossed the border fence at dawn, thanks to the fog, according to the spokesman of the prefecture. "Some climbed the fence, others broke one of its doors" to pass.
Twelve civil guards who tried to intercept them were "lightly wounded" with stones and sticks while 16 migrants were treated for injuries and cuts, according to the prefecture.
This is the first time in a year that migrants manage to force the high fence topped with sharp barbed wire that separates the Moroccan city occupied by Spain, according to the prefecture.
The two presidencies occupied in Morocco, Sebta and Melilia, form the only land borders of the European Union with Africa.
Since the beginning of the year, 3,427 migrants have managed to enter by land, 18.1% less than in 2018, according to the latest assessment of the Ministry of the Interior.
Eight young migrants remained perched at the top of the fence for a few hours Friday, shouting, crying and pleading for the Civil Guard to let them pass, according to local media El Faro. The prefecture indicated that they would be "returned to Morocco".
On the other hand, "we do not know if the 155 will be returned to Morocco, the Interior Ministry will decide," said the colonial authority of Sebta.
In August 2018, the government of the Socialist Pedro Sanchez had sent back to Morocco 116 African migrants, the day after their entry into force in Ceuta.
These "hot" pushbacks, justified by the reactivation of an agreement concluded in 1992 with Morocco, are strongly denounced by NGOs defending the rights of migrants.
In September 2018, the Council of Europe reminded Spain that migrants crossing fences should "be protected against refoulement and collective expulsions".
In addition, fifteen migrants who were rescued early August off the Libyan Open Arms boat landed Friday in southern Spain, where a military ship brought them back from Italy who refused to accommodate them.
Spain, which became the first gateway to illegal immigration in Europe in 2018, was overtaken by Greece this year, according to the International Organization for Migration.
According to the government, 14,591 migrants have arrived illegally by sea in Spain since January, which is 42.5% less than last year.



Source link
http://abc24.ma/maroc-espagne-155-migrants-forcent-le-mur-de-sebta/

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

seventeen − 7 =