Found dead on July 1, Los Angeles Angels thrower Tyler Skaggs died of an accidental overdose while the toxicology report identified amounts of fentanyl and oxycodone in his body.
Skaggs, who had also been drinking, lost his life in a Texas hotel room after choking on his own vomit while he was intoxicated.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the Skaggs family believes an Angels employee could be involved in the events that led to the death of the 27-year-old.
"We are heartbroken to learn that the death of our dear Tyler is the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol," reads the statement from the family. It is against the personality of someone who worked hard to become a major baseball player and had a very promising future in the sport he loved so much.
"We will not be at peace until we know the truth about how Tyler got these narcotics in his possession," he added, hinting that an Angels employee may have been involved. .
Memories of a match without a combined hit and miss
Skaggs, who was in Texas with his team for a series of games against the Rangers, was found unconscious in the afternoon in a room at the Hilton, located at 1400 Plaza Place in Southlake.
In 15 starts this season, Skaggs maintained a 7-7 record and a 4.9 ERA. In career terms, this 2009 first-round draft pick has maintained a record of 28-39 and a 4.41 earned run average in 96 major league games.
On July 12, the Angels paid tribute to Skaggs before a home game. All Angels players then had the number 45 and the name of the thrower on their uniform. The deceased's mother, Debbie, had come to perform the ceremonial pitch.
In an unlikely scenario, the Angels had managed a point-and-shoot free combination, through pitcher Taylor Cole and pitcher Felix Pena, in a 13-0 win over the Seattle Mariners. After the game, in a particularly touching scene, each player had come to deposit his jersey on the mound.