155 sub-Saharan migrants crossed the fence of Ceuta in northern Morocco

0
3


Sub-Saharan migrants in the Gourougou forest in northern Morocco. SEIF KOUSMATE / THE DESK

A group of 155 African migrants managed to penetrate Friday in the enclave of Ceuta (Sebta) in northern Morocco, crossing the fence bristled with barbed wire, told AFP a spokesman for the local prefecture.

"All are from sub-Saharan Africa, the majority from Guinea Conakry," said the spokesperson.

They crossed the border fence at 7:20 local fog, slightly injuring 12 guards who tried to intercept them, according to the spokesman of the prefecture. Many have been treated for cuts.

This is the first time in a year that migrants manage to cross in groups the high fence topped with sharp barbed wire that separates the city of Morocco, according to the prefecture.

Since the beginning of the year, 3,427 migrants have managed to enter these two cities by land, 18.1% less than in 2018 according to the latest report of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior. Of these, 671 entered Ceuta (Sebta), including hiding in vehicles.

Once in Spanish territory, they usually go to a reception center to apply for asylum.

According to the Ministry of the Interior, 14,591 migrants have also arrived by sea in Spain since January, which is 42.5% less than last year.

Spain, the first gateway for illegal immigration to Europe in 2018, was exceeded this year by Greece, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Regularly pinpointed by NGOs for its treatment of migrants, the Spanish socialist government has promised to remove the barbed wire from border fences and raise them at the same time.



Source link
https://mobile.ledesk.ma/encontinu/155-migrants-subsahariens-ont-franchi-la-cloture-de-ceuta-au-nord-du-maroc/

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

7 − one =